Did you find a tiny white spot on your face? And later on, did white patches start spreading to other parts of the body? Well, vitiligo or leucoderma causes loss of your natural skin colour. The condition occurs when melanocytes (the skin cells that produce melanin, the chemical that gives skin its colour or pigmentation) are destroyed by the body’s immune system.
You can lose pigment anywhere on your body, including:
- Hair (scalp, eyebrow, eyelash, beard)
- Mouth (inside)
There are two types of vitiligo: segmental vitiligo and non-segmental vitiligo.
Traits of segmental (unilateral) vitiligo
- Appears on one segment of the body, such as a leg, face, or arm.
- About half of the people lose some hair colour, such as on the head, an eyelash or an eyebrow.
- Often begins at an early age.
- Often progresses for a year or so and then stops.
Traits of non-segmental (bilateral/generalized) vitiligo
- Appears on both sides of the body, such as both hands or both knees.
- Often begins on the hands, fingertips, wrists, around the eyes or mouth or on the feet.
- Generally begins with rapid loss of skin colour, which then stops for a while. Colour loss normally starts up later. This cycle usually continues throughout a person’s lifetime.
- Colour loss tends to expand, growing more noticeable and covering a larger area.
The subtype tells you how much vitiligo appears on the body. The subtypes of vitiligo skin disease are:
- Localized: One or a few spots or patches appear, but these are limited to one or a few areas of the body.
- Generalized:Most people develop this subtype, which causes scattered patches on the body.
- Universal:Most of the pigment on the body is gone. This is rare.
There’s no way to determine when, if or how fast patches will develop. Colour loss can remain unchanged for years. Some people also see vitiligo patches enlarge and new white patches appear.
Homeopathy treatment for vitiligo
Homeopathy treatment for vitiligo helps to correct the melanin destruction and thus prevents recurrence of the disease. Additionally, homeopathic medicines for vitiligo are natural and have no side-effects and don’t cause any severe burns and blistering, which is seen commonly in case of conventional medicine use.Homeopathic medicine helps in triggering re-pigmentation and corrects the altered immune response.
If you would like to address your vitiligo disease, you can book an online appointment with an expert homeopathic doctor. He/she will carefully evaluate your case history and come up with a customized treatment plan.